provide a fully functional communal kitchen. Large groups may bring a designated
cook, but most individuals cook for themselves. All cleaning duties are shared
There are also two self-contained house-like spaces
with their own kitchens (the Apartment & the Johnson Cabin) that may be assigned
to smaller groups.
Facilities page for pictures, layout maps & more information about Sagehen
Please discuss catering with the Station Manager before hiring a contractor, to be sure we communicate the on-site parameters, restrictions & requirements! Some catering contractors we have used & recommend include:
- Christine's Kitchen: European-American food, including lots of fresh vegetables, fruits & meats.
- El Taco de Oro: really good, authentic Mexican food, including tacos, birria estilo Jalisco, fajitas, etc.
- Cell: (775) 450-7698 or (775) 450-2793
- Phone: (775) 882-4059
Available kitchen equipment & supplies include:
- 8-top gas stove with 2 large ovens.
ventilation hood with automatic fire suppression system.
- 3 sinks, including
a large 3-basin dish sink with sprayer wand.
- Food storage:
- Refrigerators with assigned shelf-space.
- Freezer with assigned
- Shelving with mouse-proof storage boxes for your weekly groceries
(no food in cabins, please!).
- Cooking equipment:
pots & pans.
- Baking/roasting pans of various sizes & shapes, including
muffin forms, pie tins & loaf pans.
- Knives & cutting boards.
& stick blender.
- Kitchen-Aid electric mixer
- Can openers
- Cooking & serving utensils:
whisks, large spoons, tongs, skewers, spatulas, etc.
- Measuring cups &
- 2-Weber charcoal grills (+/-
- Coffee-making equipment:
household coffee pots with thermoses.
- 3-3 gallon coffee/hot water holders for large groups.
- Espresso machine.
- Coffee cups.
- Glasses, including wine glasses.
- 2-Gott water cooler dispensers.
supplies: We provide dish soap, bleach, windex, sponges, mops & plastic
- Linen: we have white "barmop" towels for
your use. There are hot-pads available. Wash everything when you leave.
service: we provide a dumpster during spring, summer & fall. During the
winter, you may need to pack out your trash.
- Food: there are large grocery stores in
Truckee, 10 miles away. Reno--a 45 minute drive on Interstate 80--is a regional
shopping destination that includes bulk suppliers like Costco.
- Charcoal, lighter fluid & matches/sparker.
- Disposable (or washable) table cloths are nice for the outside
tables whose surfaces can be a bit weathered.
- Zippies, aluminum foil,
plastic wrap, Tupperware for your leftovers (which you will be taking with you
when you leave!).
- Sack-lunch supplies, if necessary for field trips: baggies,
plastic forks, etc. We usually have brown paper bags around.
- There are
invariably leftover spices around (especially salt & pepper), but maybe not
exactly what you need.
- Paper plates, cups: there are usually some already
here if you prefer them to washable dishes. Please check what's here before bringing
more & leaving the leftovers.