The Sagehen Reserve Program Planning Advisory Group (SRPPAG) is a joint university/agency/community initiative that brings together individuals from three universities, six agencies (federal, state, and local), and several nonprofit organizations and community groups to help guide the station’s future. Contact the Sagehen Creek Field Station Manager for meeting schedule & more information about SRPPAG.
Use this page to read working documents, grant applications and planning information. Comments and suggestions should be raised at future meetings &/or directed to the Station Manager.
Operations & management | Annual reports | Forest Service agreements | Experimental Forest | Grants | CSFRS | Projects | Meetings
Sagehen operations & management:
Additional Sagehen publications available here.
This is a planning document that provides the general layout design for new facilities required to meet current station needs & to fulfill the Sagehen Vision, below. More information here. Video fly-throughs here.
- Sagehen Vision, October 8, 2005
This vision for the Sagehen Creek Field Station is intended to guide discussions that will lead to a long-term management plan. It describes what the field station is like today and how we will create this management plan. It identifies five long-term goals and lists ideas about what facilities, staff and programs are needed to achieve them.
- Sagehen Management Plan, July 17, 2003
The goals of the plan are:
- To provide for the day-to-day operation of the facility;
- To outline management policies for research, education and outreach;
- To acquaint the local community, the University community, other academic entities, government agencies, and other potential users with current and future research and education opportunities at Sagehen, while at the same time encouraging further suggestions for management, development and operations;
- To anticipate and plan for future use and visitor needs.
Broad guiding principles:
National Research Council. 2014. Enhancing the Value and Sustainability of Field Stations and Marine Laboratories in the Twenty-First Century. National Academies Press.
Tydecks, et al, 2016. Biological Field Stations: A Global Infrastructure for Research, Education and Public Engagement. BioScience (2016) doi: 10.1093/biosci/biv174
Billick, I., I. Babb, B. Kloeppel, J. C. Leong, J. Hodder, J. Sanders, and H. Swain. 2013. Field Stations and Marine Laboratories of the Future: A Strategic Vision. National Association of Marine Laboratories and Organization of Biological Field Stations. Available at http://www.obfs.org/fsml-future.
Strategic Plan for Biodiversity 2011-2020, including Aichi Biodiversity Targets
National Research Council. 2001. Grand Challenges in Environmental Sciences. National Academies Press.
- Misc. Facilities Design Plans
Annual and Management Reports
|Hensley,||1945.||A Progress Report on Beaver Management in California.||Calif. Fish and Game, 32:87-99|
|Needham , P. R.||1951.||A Progress Report on the Sagehen Creek Experimental Wildlife and Fisheries Project, 1951.||4 photos||8 pp.|
|1952.||A Second Progress Report on the Sagehen Creek Experimental Wildlife and Fisheries Project, 1952.||8 pp.|
|Usinger, R. L. and P. R. Needham||1953.||A Plan for the Biological Phases of the Periodic Stream Sampling Program.||Calif. State Water Pollution Control Board-Calif. Dept. Fish & Game
Standard Agreement No. 1D-757
Dec. 31, 1953.
|1954.||A Plan for the Biological Phases of the Periodic Stream Sampling Program – Final Report||Calif. State Water Pollution Control Board-Calif. Dept. Fish & Game
Standard Agreement No. 1D-757
June 30, 1954.
|Needham , P. R.||1955.||A Third Progress Report on the Sagehen Creek Project.||7 photos||14 pp.|
|1958.||A Report to the Trustees of the Max C. Fleischmann Foundation on the Sagehen Creek Project [fourth progress report].||Univ. Calif. , Zoology-Fisheries Section, Berkeley .||14 pp.|
|1963.||A Fifth Progress Report on the Sagehen Creek Wildlife and Fisheries Project.||Dept. of Zool., Univ. Calif. , Berkeley .||42 pp.|
|Leopold, A. S.||1967.||Annual Report, Sagehen Creek Field Station, 1966.||Jan. 1, 1967.|
|1971.||Sagehen Creek Field Station: The First Twenty Years – PDF | Text||Univ. Calif. , Berkeley .||May, 1971.|
|West, C. I.||1981.||Management Options for the Sagehen Creek Basin, Tahoe National Forest, California. [contains extensive background information & metadata]||UCB, Master of Forestry|
|Barrett, R. H.||1989.||Annual Report, Sagehen Creek Field Station, 1988.|
|1990.||Annual Report, Sagehen Creek Field Station, 1989.|
|1991.||Annual Report, Sagehen Creek Field Station, 1990.|
|1992.||Annual Report, Sagehen Creek Field Station, 1991 .|
|Kirchner, J., J. Brown and F. Felix||2005.||Annual Report, Sagehen Creek Field Station, 2003-04.||34 pp.
|2005.||Annual Report, Sagehen Creek Field Station, 2004-05.||July 2005.|
|2007.||Annual Report Highlights, Sagehen Creek Field Station, 2006-07.||June 2008.|
|2008.||Research Unit Biennial Director’s Report, FY06-08||UCB-Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research||20 pp.|
|2013.||Sagehen Annual Report, FY2012-13||UCB-Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research||9pp.|
|Moritz, C. and D. Greenbaum||2005.||Information Technology and Biodiversity Informatics
for the Berkeley Natural History Museums
in the 21st Century:
A Review and Strategic Plan by BNHM and MIP
|Dapolito, D. A.||2005.||Mountain Lake Environment Center Planning Project.
|Hughes, S. S.||2006.||UC’s Sagehen Creek Field Station at Fifty,” an oral history conducted in 2004.||Regional Oral History
Office, Bancroft Library, UC Berkeley
|Staff||2008.||Master Plan for UC Berkeley Sagehen Creek Field Station, Truckee CA.||Cathexes Architecture||28 pp.|
|Bowie, R., J. Brown and F. Felix||2015.||Sagehen Biennial Report, FY 2013-15||UCB-Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research||44 pp.|
Forest Service Agreements and Guiding Documents
This document includes extensive descriptions of Sagehen Creek and nearby watersheds, including Alder Creek and Independence Creek. Included are lists of sensitive plants, and descriptions of designated Special Interest Areas (SIAs), like the Mason Fen and Sagehen Headwaters. There are also discussions of additional recommended SIAs.
- Sagehen-related excerpts from 1990 Tahoe Forest Plan, 1990
- Sagehen Special Use Permit, October, 1951
- Cooperative Agreement for the creation of Sagehen Creek Field Station, 1951
- See more under specific sections below
Sagehen Experimental Forest
- Sagehen Experimental Forest Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), January 2, 2008
- Sagehen Experimental Forest Research Plan, September 6, 2006:
This is a document outlining the purpose & mission of the Sagehen Experimental Forest & guiding principles for research in the Sagehen basin, including primary research themes, featured research opportunities & public engagement.
A successful proposal to the Sierra Nevada Conservancy for funding to under-burn the Sagehen Forest treatment areas.
- Central Sierra Field Research Stations Cyberinfrastructure Network Improvements NSF proposal, May 14, 2010:
A successful proposal to upgrade radio communications linking Sagehen to the other CSFRS research areas in the North Fork of the American River headwaters.
- UCNRS Cyberinfrastructure NSF proposal, September 6, 2009:
A successful, extensive proposal to enhance data collection & communication capabilities at all the UCNRS field stations & reserves, including Sagehen.
- NSF Informal Education Planning Grant proposal-ARC Program, September 10, 2007:
A successful application that includes extensive information about Sagehen’s Adventure-Risk-Challenge outreach program.
- National Science Foundation, Field Station & Marine Labs (FSML) Program proposal, March 3, 2007. Reviewer comments:
This unsuccessful grant application is a request for funding to purchase a snow cat & build a maintenance structure. The document includes extensive information about Sagehen facility & programs.
- Sagehen Planning Proposal, May 6, 2003:
Central Sierra Field Research Stations (CSFRS)
- 2014-15 UCNRS 10-year Review: Sagehen and Chickering. Chickering PDF
- North Fork American River Conservation & Research Agreement, September 6, 2006
- Introductory letter
- Onion Creek and Central Sierra Snow Lab Management Agreement, 1998
- More info
- Final Report, Joint Fire Science Program: 04.2-1-84, Nov. 16, 2007
- Reality Show: SPLATS Take a Trip from Theory to the Tahoe National Forest, Feb. 2009:
This is the final report on the SPLAT research project in Sagehen Basin. Includes description of methods, maps & summary of findings.
* * *
Sagehen Forest Project…
- Draft Purpose and Need Statement
- Proposed Action
- Project blog
- Executed Forest Service Agreement with West, 2016
- USDA FS & UC NRS Participating Agreement – Sagehen [Executed]
* * *
Tahoe-Central Sierra Initiative…
* * *
Sagehen Fish Barriers…