Use this page to reference GIS and map data available for the Central Sierra Field Research Stations (CSFRS). Listed data that is not linked can be obtained from the Station.
Sagehen’s data is the result of a significant investment of resources over many decades. The station makes its data available free of charge with the provision that users will help us stay in business by:
- complying with station use requirements— including proper publication credit to the station & to the data owners;
- complying with our “Fair-Use” policy (see below);
- notifying the station in advance of download;
- submitting a reserve use application.
“Fair-Use” Policy for Sagehen data:
Kindly inform the appropriate Principal Investigators of how you are using site data and of any publication plans. If the Principal Investigators feel that they should be acknowledged or offered participation as authors, they will let you know and we assume that an agreement on such matters will be reached prior to publishing and/or use of the data for publication. If your work directly competes with the Principal Investigator’s analysis they may ask that they have the opportunity to submit a manuscript before you submit the one that uses their data. In addition, when publishing, please acknowledge the agency(s) that supported the research.
Just need a quick field map of the basin?
Geodatabase and shapefiles for the Central Sierra Field Research Stations
- CSFRS station boundaries (Zip file – 24K)
- Sagehen Experimental Forest administrative boundary (Zip file – 11K)
- Tahoe National Forest GIS layers for the Sagehen basin (Zip file – 7.5M)
Sagehen Basin Digital Orthoquads (DOQ’s)
- Download imagery, layers & quads at Cal-Atlas. For Sagehen & surrounding area quads (2009), get Hobart Mills & Independence.
This LiDAR remote sensing resource shared with the Sagehen research community by the UC Berkeley Center for Forestry. Please abide by Sagehen’s Fair Use policy. Data reprocessing done by the National Center for Airborne Laser Mapping (NCALM). Data acquisition by Sanborn.
2005 LiDAR data is available for Sagehen basin, Independence basin & North Fork of the American River.
- For processed DEMs & unprocessed raw data files, contact Station Manager.
- Sample J-PEG images:
- NCALM .KML file of distributable data.
More recent LiDAR scans of the Sagehen basin are available for February 2007 (NCALM), and Fall 2015 (Tahoe National Forest).
North Fork of the American River
LiDAR dataset includes Onion Creek Experimental Forest, Chickering Reserve, North Fork Association Lands & surrounding National Forest. Dataset is now available on the NCALM data distribution center.
It includes the filtered and unfiltered ArcGIS DEMs, and the lidar point cloud (LAS) all split in 2×2 sq.km tiles.
Digital Elevation Models (D.E.M.s)
- Sagehen Creek Experimental Forest…
- North Fork of the American River Conservation & Research Area: includes Chickering American River Reserve, North Fork Association Lands, Onion Creek Experimental Forest…
- USGS National Elevation Dataset.
- National Digital Elevation Program (NDEP).
- US Forest Service data.
- CALVEG info.
- Weislander Vegetation Surveys: the Wieslander Vegetation Type Map (VTM) collection is a dataset compiled in the 1920s and 30s, consisting of photos, species inventories, plot maps, and vegetation maps covering most of California.
Geologic Map of the northern Lake Tahoe-Donner Pass Region, northern Sierra Nevada, California
- Large image
- Small image
- GIS files
- More info, request digital files
- Photos of 2006 field work in the N. Fork of the American River.
- Photos of 2007 field work in Sagehen & Independence Basins.
Principle Investigator: Art Sylvester
You can search the immense USGS Earth Explorer database for current & historic maps & imagery using these corner coordinates:
|area name||area corners|
|The larger Sagehen & Independence basin areas.||39 19 09 N 120 05 01 W|
|39 32 02 N 120 27 27 W|
|North Fork of the American River Conservation & Research Agreement area.||39 05 41 N 120 11 36 W|
|39 21 00 N 120 31 55 W|
Google Earth Coordinates
View Larger Map
|Use the Google Map at left to find us.|
If you have Google Earth installed on your PC, you can use the following links to fly to our location. Enabling the “Keyhole Community BBS” layer also opens hot-links to our on-line weather data points.
Google Earth supports GIS layers and can be used to share your research data.